Sunday 14 May 2017

BBC, Dawn Chorus, Kilvert

Did you hear last Sunday's Dawn Chorus programme on Radio 4 ?

Terrific radio.

May is the month for the dawn chorus. Here the first birds begin just after 0400, and there are more voices than I can recognise or even count.

The dawn chorus always makes me think of Kilvert's fantastic description on 7 May 1870.

And that always make me wonder what else William Plomer cut out of the diary for incomprehensible reasons. 

A couple of years ago I send David Attenborough the Dawn Chorus entry in the diary, thinking that there was just a chance that even an enthusiast such as he might not have come across it.

I was amazed to receive a reply, and delighted to find that he had not been aware of it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trouble at t'mill

It's not been a good year at the Kilvert Society. It's just a small literary society. No, tiny. The youngest member is probably we...